Thursday, July 18, 2013

The "Before" Trilogy

"Before Sunrise" was my very favourite movie of 1995. For those of you who missed it, here is a blurb:

American tourist Jesse and French student Celine meet by chance on the train from Budapest to Vienna. Sensing that they are developing a connection, Jesse asks Celine to spend the day with him in Vienna, and she agrees. Passing the time before his scheduled flight the next morning. How do two perfect strangers connect so intimately over the course of a single day? What is that special thing that bonds two people so strongly? As their bond turns to love, what will happen to them the next morning when Jesse flies away? Written by randywong70@comcast.net

My favourite quote from the movie was this: "Sometimes I dream about being a good father and a good husband. And sometimes it feels really close. But then other times it seems silly like it would ruin my whole life. And it's not just a fear of commitment or that I'm incapable of caring or loving because... I can. It's just that, if I'm totally honest with myself I think I'd rather die knowing that I was really good at something. That I had excelled in some way than that I'd just been in a nice, caring relationship."

Nine years later came "Before Sunset". While not as original as its predecessor, it was still quirky and told a lot of home truths, e.g., "What is love, if it's not respect, trust, admiration? And I felt all those things. So cut to the present tense: I feel like I'm running a small nursery with somebody I used to date."

Now it's nine years later again, and I can't wait to see "Before Midnight". It made a brief appearance in the big movie complexes, and now it's leaving the art cinemas. Hope we make it!

No comments: